Spring is one of the best—and busiest—times of year to sell your home. While the market definitely picks up once the temperatures warm up and the snow melts, you still need to do all you can to make your home attractive to potential buyers.
If it has been several years since you needed to sell your home, keep in mind that the way you market your home has probably changed quite a bit, too. The Wagley Group's real estate professionals recommend checking out these tips before you put your home on the market in Lenawee County or other real estate markets in southeast Michigan:
1. Keep Millennials in mind. Buyers who are in the Millennial age group (generally individuals in their mid-20s to mid-30s) are expected to comprise approximately 43% of U.S. home buyers by the end of 2018. As such, you'll want to consider what they're looking for, namely smaller, starter homes.
Now that many Millennials are moving to the suburbs to start and raise families, if you have a home that fits the family genre, consider highlighting the shopping, schools and other attractions within walking distance of your home. An open floor plan is also attractive to this group. If your home does not have one, and you think the return on investment is worth it, you may want to consider taking down some walls to open things up.
One last point on Millennials: According to realtor.com, eco-friendly features like storm windows, insulated water heaters, and solar panels are important. You may even want to show buyers your utility bills so they can see not only the environmental impact but the cost savings, too.
2. Bet on baby boomers, too. While Millennials are certainly a large segment of the home-buying market, don't count out the Baby Boomer population yet. With the number of Americans aged 65 and older on the verge of doubling by 2060 and, according to the AARP, nearly 90% of seniors preferring to stay at home in their golden years, this is a prime demographic for home sellers to target.
A few keys for attracting Baby Boomer buyers include renovating your home to incorporate universal design features to make your house accessible to all ages and abilities. If you already have these features, now is the time to highlight them. One-level ranch homes and master suites and laundry on the first level are very attractive to this demographic.
3. Invest in smart home features. Many homebuyers are starting to use smart home gadgets such as Amazon Echo, Google Home, or Apple HomePod, therefore it is important that your house be equipped with a system (and outfitted for Wi-Fi) to support all of these options to attract as many potential buyers as possible. Even if you don't use these devices in your home yet, you may want to point out to prospective buyers that your home is “smart technology ready”.
4. Employ tried-and-true home selling tactics. One thing is for certain, no matter the age, lifestyle preferences or the kind of wish list a homebuyer has, you can still maximize the market potential of your home by using common sense tips to make your home more attractive. For example, do your best to clear up clutter by storing items that you aren't using; touch up paint that needs it; and make sure to do a spring yard clean up so that the outside of your home looks as good as the inside. Having an inviting scent in your house to greet your potential buyers is also a good tactic, but don't go overboard with anything too overpowering.
5. Use an experienced Realtor. There are many things that you can do to make your home more marketable this spring season, including choosing an experienced real estate professional to work with. A licensed real estate agent can take the burden of selling your home off your shoulders and match your property with qualified buyers. A qualified real estate agent will guide you through the process and help you maximize your selling price. All the agents affiliated with The Wagley Group are members of the Lenawee County Association of Realtors.
Are you looking to list your Lenawee County home this spring? The Wagley Group is here to answer your questions and make the process of buying or selling property easy, so please contact us for assistance. Simply give us a call at 517-265-6000, email us. or visit our website at www.TheWagleyGroup.com.